Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tickets to Concerts, Sporting Events, etc

So many people ask me how I always find good seats to various concerts and sporting events so I figured I would share my tips with you.

1. Dont buy tickets through the presale. The venues always push the worst seats through the presale just to make sure they sell them. If you must buy them right away, wait for the public on sale.
2. If the band you like has a fan club then go to their website and pay to be a member. Members usually get the best seats. Note: Dont waste your cash to join the Dave Matthews fan club. They hardly ever give out good seats and I think you have to be a member for years to get the good ones anyway.
3. If at all possible wait until 2 weeks to the day of the event to buy tickets. Ticketmaster holds back tickets for family/friends of the artists and also for ticket brokers. So if those tickets dont sell or if the family/friends decide not to attend, ticketmaster will release the tickets. I have waited to buy tickets for almost every show for the past 10 years and it always works. I have been able to get front row at least 4 times by doing this. The trick is to check ticketmaster several times a day at random times. Also you will want to check ticketmaster with 2 browsers such as IE and Firefox that way you can have more leverage on where you want to sit.
4. Check the broker sites before buying. Various sites such as Stubhub.com, ticketzoom.com, stubsearch.com will drop the price of a ticket before the event.  You could end up buying a ticket cheaper from a broker than using actual ticketmaster. Many times the broker just wants to get rid of the tickets. I bought 2 Igloo tickets to Bon Jovi a few years ago and they cost me $50 through a broker on the day of the show. Ticketmaster was charging $150 for the same seat.
5. Try looking on ebay or craigslist for tickets. Many times I find the best seats on ebay. Just make sure to check the feedback for the seller as well as the date they registered on ebay. Only use paypal to buy the tickets that way you are insured incase a seller screws you over. Also dont be afraid to email the seller and see if they will take less for the tickets. I have been able to get tickets for $100 cheaper that way.
If you are using craigslist make sure you dont ever send money through western union. That is 100% always a scam! The best way is to encourage the seller to use paypal that way you are covered. I prefer to personally meet the person with cash. If I have any doubt about the tickets, I would have the seller meet me at the venue box office for verification.
6. If your favorite band/artist is on facebook make sure to add them. Many times they will post deals about various shows and info about upcoming shows before the public knows about it. Also sign up for the actual artist webpage and lastly go to the venue website and sign up for email alerts as well.
7. Check the message boards. I have often found good seats by checking the artists message boards. Many times fans who cant attend a show for various reasons just want to sell the tickets to another fan. I was able to get tickets to see Sheryl Crow/ John Mayer for face value a few years ago from a Sheryl Crow fan. The tickets were 2nd row but ended up being front row because security let us stand at the front of the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment